Every year, we hold a Memorial Day BBQ with a different state theme.
The theme for 2018 was Tennessee. We went to the Great Smoky Mountains to see the eclipse in 2017 and brought back moonshine. We also enjoyed some Memphis BBQ.
In previous years, we have celebrated:
- New York (2013, Nathan’s hot dogs, corned beef, chopped liver, black and white cookies and Manhattan and Bronx cocktails)
- Michigan (lots of cherry themed items, coney dogs, Michigan beer)
- Kentucky (2012, hot browns, burgoo, and of course, mint juleps!)
- Alabama (NASA, Alabama slammers and that fine Southern cuisine)
- Virginia (food from our local area, Virginia wines and beers)
- Maryland (crab cakes, Berger cookies)
- Florida (2014, gator, cheeseburgers in paradise)
- North Dakota (2015, in honor of our neighbors who were moving to ND. Bison burgers were the hot item)
- Arizona (2016, southwest tacos in fry bread, Arizona mule cocktails)
- Illinois (2017, in honor of the Cubs winning the World Series. Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, brownies and Old Style.)