Every year, we hold a Memorial Day BBQ with a different state theme.
The theme for 2019 was Massachusetts. I ran the Boston Marathon in April so it was appropriate. We had Sam Adams beer, of course, Boston baked beans, and Boston cream pie.
In previous years, we have celebrated:
- New York (2013, Nathan’s hot dogs, corned beef, chopped liver, black and white cookies and Manhattan and Bronx cocktails)
- Michigan (lots of cherry themed items, coney dogs, Michigan beer)
- Kentucky (2012, hot browns, burgoo, and of course, mint juleps!)
- Alabama (NASA, Alabama slammers and that fine Southern cuisine)
- Virginia (food from our local area, Virginia wines and beers)
- Maryland (crab cakes, Berger cookies)
- Florida (2014, gator, cheeseburgers in paradise)
- North Dakota (2015, in honor of our neighbors who were moving to ND. Bison burgers were the hot item)
- Arizona (2016, southwest tacos in fry bread, Arizona mule cocktails)
- Illinois (2017, in honor of the Cubs winning the World Series. Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, brownies and Old Style)
- Tennessee (2018, Memphis BBQ and moonshine, in honor of our trip to see the solar eclipse at the Great Smoky Mountains)