Trying Canning

We’re trying something new around the DC D’s household: canning!

It’s something we’ve been thinking about doing for a while, but never really had the guts to try to figure it out. We figured that with CSA season quickly approaching, we had better start learning. With that, we bought about 5 pounds of strawberries from Whole Foods, got some jars and lids from the hardware store, and set about cooking up some strawberry preserves.

Jars cleaned and ready.

Strawberries ready.

Pot ready.

The strawberries sat in the sugar most of the day, and then we cooked them and let them sit overnight.

The following morning, we had to heat them back up and get them in the jars.

The jars being sanitized.

Filled jars sitting in the water cooling down.

The finished product. 2 pounds of strawberries gave us 3 half-pint jars of preserves. The recipe said we should have gotten 4, but even our second batch came up short of that. Now that we’ve gotten practice, we’re ready for the gobs of tomatoes and everything else to come this summer.