I don’t think I’m going to be able to have a “Banned Books Week” special review this year, I’ve got 4 books out from the library right now and two other books from LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer group to read. But just so you can celebrate it yourself, check out this year’s top ten list.
1. “And Tango Makes Three,” by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
2. The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier
3. “Olive’s Ocean,” by Kevin Henkes
4. “The Golden Compass,” by Philip Pullman
5. “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” by Mark Twain
6. “The Color Purple,” by Alice Walker
7. “TTYL,” by Lauren Myracle
8. “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” by Maya Angelou
9. “It’s Perfectly Normal,” by Robie Harris
10. “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
If I had to recommend just one on that list, it would have to be “The Perks of Being A Wallflower.” It pisses me off to no end that such a wonderful book might be off-limits to people who want to read it.