Let Me Catch My Breath

Great, fun weekend, aside from the lack of sleep, but that’s normal with a 7 month old and a 3.5 year old.
On Saturday, I got together with some of the guys in the neighborhood, most of whom I had never met before, and went golfing for the first time in probably 3 years. I was glad to see that my clubs hadn’t rusted or gotten cobwebs while sitting unused in the basement. My glove has seen better days though. We headed out to Bull Run Golf Club for some fine public course golfing. No, really. This place was in good shape for a public course. Nice rolling hills, with a view of the Shenandoah Mountains, and fairly challenging too. The fairways narrowed in all the right places, and the course tempted you to try shots you probably weren’t going to make. We played a scramble/best ball format, where the best ball was selected for each shot. We ended up shooting one under par, though we should have had 3 under at least, had we not all fallen apart on the same holes for our two bogeys. I played pretty well myself, with my big shortcomings being the short irons and putting. Good times, and good to meet and hang out with guys from the neighborhood.
On Sunday, we had a baseball game, though it was hard to tell. League rules impose a four run limit for each of the first six innings, and I’m pretty sure we hit the limit on all six. It was pretty awful. We even gave players the chance to play where they normally wouldn’t play. I played first base for one inning, and caught for 3. I was involved in a pickoff while playing first base, and a play at the plate which injured the runner’s ankle. He paused coming around third base and was going to be out by a mile, and I caught the ball in foul territory, stuck my right foot in front of the plate, and tagged him out. He started his slide late, and jammed his foot right on mine. Luckily, I only have a small scrape where he hit my foot.
Sunday afternoon was our block party. Ellie had a blast being allowed to run in the street, which was blocked off of course. She also had waaaay more sugar than should be allowed. Popsicles, cupcakes, cookies. I’m going into a diabetic coma just thinking about it. I tried to get her to do the sack race, which she tried, but she was way down on the end with the hill, and had trouble getting started, and I had to carry her over the line. She didn’t get too spooked though, and participated in the water bucket filling race (which we lost because our teammate slipped and knocked over our bucket) and the water balloon toss (in which we lasted one throw before she dropped our balloon). The hard part was tearing her away and getting her to sleep. Must have been all that sugar.
It should finally be a quiet week for a change. Ellie has her last day of school on Tuesday. We’re having our refinancing closing on Thursday at our house, and not much else going on (except for that mysterious thing on Friday). We need a quiet week.