Disneyworld Day 1: Magic Kingdom/MGM

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy tattooed rednecks and scooter-riding fat people. We must be cautious.
Our first day at the Disneyworld parks, and we would soon see how the week would go. The only set plan was to meet for dinner at 6:30pm at the 50s Prime Time Cafe at MGM. We decided to go to the Magic Kingdom, since there would be more stuff for the kids to do. Lisa’s aunt went straight to MGM and was upset when she found out we weren’t there. Lisa’s parents and Colin were coming to the Magic Kingdom, only they were running a little later than us, thanks in part to the fact that they were staying at Pop Century, a “value” resort which had consistently longer shuttle lines than ours. And truthfully, we were there pretty early.

Ellie perked up when she saw Cinderella’s castle for the first time. While we were waiting for Colin to arrive, Ellie and I went on Goofy’s Barnstormer roller coaster.

Luckily, the line wasn’t long, because Ellie started getting scared at all the noise of the coaster running over our heads. She was a trooper though, and had fun, but definitely did not want to go on it again. She was a much bigger fan of the rides like Peter Pan, which were much slower and quieter.
After meeting up with Colin, we headed into Mickey’s house to meet Mickey. We bought the kids “autograph” books, so they could give the characters their books to sign when going up for pictures. I think they really got a kick out of that. It must be hard for those characters to sign in the big costumed hands, but they all must have gotten some serious training at it, because each character’s signature looks identical regardless of who’s behind the mask.

We didn’t linger too long at the Magic Kingdom. We decided to take the long route over to MGM, by taking the monorail over to Epcot, then walking through Epcot to the ferry boat which connects to MGM. Along the way, we ran into Pinocchio, Geppetto, Mary Poppins, Alice (from Wonderland), and Chip and Dale.

We caught the tail end of the MGM parade, and stopped by the Dinosaur ice cream stand for a snack, finally meeting up with Lisa’s aunt and family. I decided to head over to the (relatively, to me) new Aerosmith Rock N Roll Coaster with Jenny and Uncle Gary. The kids saw the Cars characters, as well as the Green Army Men and Buzz Lightyear (or as Ellie calls him Buzz Lightbeer).

The coaster was actually pretty good, with its 0-60 takeoff start and high speeds. Not bad for a Disney coaster. The rest of the gang checked out the “Honey I Shrunk The Kids” playground and the Muppets 3D show. Finally, it was time for dinner.
Dinner at the 50s Prime Time Cafe is an experience. You’re eating in “Mom’s kitchen” with 50s black and white TV clips playing in the background. What’s Mom’s #1 rule? Elbows off the table! I’m proud to say that I didn’t get busted once (I got busted lots the last time we were there). Auntie, on the other hand, was forced to stand with her head against the wall as punishment. Cell phones were similarly verboten. Lots of scolding at our table. Sadly, I neglected to take any pictures. I am a moron. It was a lot of fun though, and I cleaned my plate good. Mom would be proud.
By the time we were done with dinner, there was just enough time to catch the Little Mermaid live show, essentially the movie distilled into a short half hour stage show. Ellie especially enjoyed when bubbles came floating down onto the audience. And so a long Day 1 came to an end.